In this episode of Pandemic Puppy, Kayla discusses teaching your puppy to relax.
How can you get your puppy to relax?
- First things first, you need to meet your puppy’s needs!
- Make sure they are getting enough rest
- Pay for what you like! If they lay down at your feet, reward them for it with a chew, which will help build duration.
- Be cautious of rewarding too heavily because they may start offering other behavior for rewards
- Set up the environment for success.
- Utilize the puppy pen when you can!
- Don’t have too high of expectations at the start. They are still puppies!
- Layer in distractions and take your time
- Take your skills on the road!
- Adjust your expectations as they age and expect the unexpected
- Again, meet your puppy’s needs! These needs will change as they age
- Utilize Karen Overall’s Relaxation Protocol
Links Mentioned in the Episode:
You can support the Pandemic Puppy Podcast by joining our Patreon at patreon.com/pandemicpuppy.
Kayla grew up in northern Wisconsin and studied ecology and animal behavior at Colorado College. She founded Journey Dog Training in 2013 to provide high-quality and affordable dog behavior advice. She’s an avid adventurer and has driven much of the Pan-American Highway with her border collie Barley. She now travels the US in a 2006 Sprinter with her two border collies, Barley and Niffler. Aside from running Journey Dog Training, Kayla also runs the nonprofit K9 Conservationists, where she and the dogs work as conservation detection dog teams.